Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Parisian Pharmacie

I've mentioned before that I follow Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop newsletter. I've picked up some great tips through her monthly editions. Her newsletter has become particularly popular for its' healthy cooking recipes, interesting book recommendations and solid perspective on a balanced lifestyle. One of the first articles Gwyneth ever featured in Goop has stuck with me for years, it was the French Pharmacy edition of her 'Get' column and it completely intrigued me. Maybe because I'm mildly obsessed with beauty products, or because everything from Paris just seems more glamorous. Whatever the reason, I filed the article and promised to return to it one day.

Fast forward a few years. As I was in the process of booking our wedding anniversary trip to France back in the spring, I stumbled upon this British Vogue article featuring the top ten Parisian pharmacie products. And just like the Goop feature, Vogue swore by the same beauty items. I immediately took notes - after all, Vogue is the bible! I packed the recommended list and took it with me to Paris. 

This is the skinny on French pharmacies. The French are known for their highly-effective skin care formulas, with most of their products based with hydrating thermal spring water. Pair that with reasonable pricing and over-the-counter accessibility (something that most Americans would need a prescription for) and you've got yourself some incredibly coveted lines of beauty products. Celebrities and models from all over the world are known for frequenting the pharmacies every time they touch down in Paris. I'm no model, but I had to be one of those girls!

Having done my research before my trip, I knew which products I was looking for before I even set foot in a Parisian pharmacy...and let me tell you, there is a pharmacy on every corner! They're gorgeous too - along with everything else in Paris. The stores are pristine, the products gleaming on every shelf and the pharmacists, with their perfectly polished skin and long white coats, are incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. Not your typical Walgreens, that's for sure.

My new beauty regime

In the broken french I knew, I quizzed the pharmacists on the products I had traveled 'such a long way' for. I was particularly interested in the Avène line and the Embryolisse line. Having incredibly sensitive skin (I blame my Nordic ancestors), Avène is known to calm inflammation and redness, hydrate and sooth. This incredibly affective line originally was developed to treat dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema and burns. Avène's products are now centered around the brand's own thermal spring, where the water is tested daily to maintain the highest of standards.  Having been diagnosed with rosacea on my face and arms several years ago, I was really interested in adding this line to my beauty regime.

Embryolisse, hydrating the skin of elegant Parisian women for over 60 years, is one of the most coveted lines in Europe by makeup artists. With the ability to super moisturize while simultaneously cleansing the skin of impurities, this super-cream preps the skin perfectly for makeup application. I had to have this stuff.

I ended up purchasing the Avène Clean-Ac cream and the Embryolisse anti-aging cream. The Embryolisse cream had to be ordered in advance because of such high-demand, however, I was able to pick up next day. I use the Avène cream in the morning after my shower and apply the Embryolisse anti-aging cream in the evening after washing my face with the Clarisonic brush, as the cream is most affective in the evening when skin is clean and resting.

Embryolisse has become such a hit that it's now sold in the States, but with quite the price tag. I was able to purchase my cream for 40 euros in Paris (the equivalent to $55), while in the States it is selling for over $90. Avène is a bit trickier to find in the States and is only supplied by certain medspas or obtainable through a Physician. 

If you're planning a trip to France in the near future, I highly suggest you take a look at the top recommended pharmacie product lines. On my next venture, I think I'll pick up the Nuxe Huile Prodigeuse body-oil. I'm a big fan of oils and this particular product is all-natural and promises to bring your skin a healthy, glossy glow. 

Enjoy! xx

1 comment:

  1. Is there anything from Paris that isn't divvvvvine? No. Based on all the photos it looked like you had a great trip, xo!

    ReplyDelete